The Hungarian EU European Commissioner for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion, László Andor caused quite an uproar in British political circles with his attack on Britain’s plans to curb benefits for migrants. Andor, nominated by the previous Socialist-Liberal government, was dubbed “the most left-wing commissioner”, yet a British Labour MP called him “a fascist party member” and he said Andor “called for the expulsion of Hungarian gypsies from a country where paramilitary groups have been attacking Roma in their villages and where hundreds of Hungarian Jews have fled to Vienna because of fears for their safety”. Nice friendly fire indeed… 🙂 Yeah, the Brits have good reasons to fear an influx of unskilled Romanian and Bulgarian Gypsies from January. In case they didn’t know, Hungarian Gypsies have had the opportunity to move to Britain since 2004. So what’s the leftist answer to this not quite politically correct issue? To accuse Hungary, governed by a centre-of-right government, of fascism, racism and what have you, of course!
Then the right-wing tabloid Daily Mail published a brutally anti-Hungarian article, full of similarly vicious lies, titled “Hungary is anti-semitic and vile to the Roma. Don’t dare lecture us, Mr Commissioner”. British Prime Minister Cameron called EC Chairman Barroso to make a complaint about Andor and he also tweeted his anger:
Well, as someone from Central Europe, a right-winger who is proud to be a Hungarian nationalist and who worked for a year in Italy after Hungary’s joining the EU in 2004 and then who spent five great years in the UK as a higher-rate taxpayer and who is now back in Hungary to do the same job for a lot less money, I must say I support the right of countries, including Britain’s, to filter benefit fraudsters, beggars, criminals and similar anti-social elements out from those who want to live there. I also support restricting entry to the labour market of a country if the chosen representatives of the country think so.
In other words I support British PM Cameron as opposed to Hungarian Eurocrat László Andor. At the same time I strongly reject the nasty anti-Hungarian garbage the Daily Mail or that British Labour MP, and probably some more Brits, have been coming up with in this spat. Shame on them.
- The Eurocrats think that they should decide who is entitled to British benefits (blogs.telegraph.co.uk)
- David Cameron attacks official over ‘nasty country’ jibe (telegraph.co.uk)
- Fury as Hungarian eurocrat calls UK ‘nasty’: Sort out your own backyard first, MPs fume (dailymail.co.uk)
- Brussels Commissioner Laszlo Andor: ‘Cameron is making Britain the nasty country of Europe’ (thisismoney.co.uk)
- Is László Andor spinning for the Tory party? (blogs.spectator.co.uk)
- Hungary is anti-semitic and vile to the Roma. Don’t dare lecture us, Mr Commissioner (dailymail.co.uk)
- EU Commissioner Laszlo Andor’s anti-British rant underscores why the UK needs to leave the EU (blogs.telegraph.co.uk)